Sunday 27 January 2008

A bottle of rum and some 'wa gwan' please

D-Day number two is upon us. Trust me to have more than one D-Day but at least this time you know I will not be back in the UK for a while! Good riddance I hear you say? Pah.

Its been a long hard week, lots of running around and 'arranging' but mainly just doing anything so I don't get a chance to sit down, think too much and decide that my father is right and I need to call that investment banker called Olu!

'Fear is a motivator, not a paralytic' Anon (it is possible I made it up, but it feels like something I read somewhere...)

One thing in particular that has occupied my time is packing. Now, I have a backpack (courtesy of the people at Snow'n'Rock after they relieved me of far too much money). I decided that since I wouldn't always know where I was going or the terrain or I could change my mind at any moment, minimising my load and having something I could put on my back was perfect. WHATEVER!!! I am 5'3 and currently a little lighter than normal, my backpack is coming in at about two thirds my size and I'm supposed to put it on my back?!

Now don't all rush telling me I need to take less stuff and be economical, I am a young metro-black female with a large taste for Primarni and H&M, it is very hard to know what not to take! I'm already down to just one pair of jeans (I hope people realise how hard that is!), two pairs of shorts and a whole host of t-shirts and dresses (yuk, but they're light) that I hope I won't get tired of too quickly. I suppose the real problem is my toiletries supply. I remember prophesising at work a while back that this would be my problem and here it is. The thing is, I'm not taking double of anything (which I had actually planned to do) and I haven't bought any bumper sizes of anything....but I still have the equivalent of a trial 'Superdrug Express' store in my bag. It's sad I know, but you cannot play with moisturiser(s) (different one for face and body you see), cleanser, make-up remover etc etc etc etc.

Luckily for me, I am pretty sure that I only need to carry that bag on my back one time and I will happily dump half of its contents. For now, while there is a comfortable journey to Gatwick I shall live in the delusion that none of my preparations will have been in vain.

So, Jamaica here I come. Not particularly looking forward to the near 10-hour plane journey, but I have it on good authority (my darling Aishling) that I have a superb welcome party and evening awaiting me in Kingston. Can't wait!

2 comments:

Bandele Zuberi said...

I not sure Jamdown is quite ready for Lola the 5'3 cosmetic queen, lol!

I know your gonna have a wonderful time and when that caribbean sun licks you all the running around you had to do and the 10-hour flight will fade into a distant memory!

Enjoy the welcoming party!

Take care,

Bandele

Eddelight said...

Wa gwan GAW GAW...(Girl Around the World). WOW! Am so excited for you!!

Bet you already having a great time! Here's to a journey filled with NEWNESS...

Be well