Thursday 7 February 2008

Mosquitos are a menace

I have another niggle....mosquitos. Now I'm no stranger to them and as ever I came prepared with all kinds of insect repellant and the likes, but these bloody things are serious about munching on my blood. As we speak I am the owner of what feels like a gazzillion bites but is probably about 20-30 bites on the back of each thigh and leg....sounds awful?...well it is.

Not only had I never seen anything like it, neither had anyone around me. I'm wondering if a couple of them managed to sneak up my pyjama bottoms one evening and decide to just stay for a few meals. One mosquito bite itches....what I had is the stuff that drives people crazy! Enter my superhero Mr Bliss. A friend of the family I'm staying with and a descendant of a line of herbalists. Thanks to him, a combination of two types of herb and twice daily applications with vaseline (you know I packed loads of vaseline), they no longer itch and will probably not leave scars. Just goes to show, Boots doesn't always have the answer! (part of me actually suspects that my mosquito repellant kit may be attracting rather than repelling them).

So, on the upside, I've had a few more amazing trips. One in particular I forgot to mention last blog was a trip to Sweet River. Sweet River is a natural spring and the water there is the clearest and coolest I've ever seen. It's kind of set on a flat plain and until you get to the water you don't actually know its there. We spent a couple of hours there messing with the water, chilling and talking to a few people who came by to have a dip as people just do around there.

The only down side is that it is 'owned' by one man who occassionally likes to run people off his land with a shotgun. Go figure. I'm hoping I can get as many trips there as possible without running into him, it should be a free and public resource, especially given the fact that it has a kind of mystical pull that keeps people coming there, but this is the world we live in.

I also went out ona fishing boat and saw a dolphin!! Never thought I'd see one of those myself! It wasn't all that close but what a sight!

No comments: