Tuesday 4 March 2008

Def*Cuban Horseriding....Very Sore Fanny!!

Yes folks, as predicted, I have yet another sore fanny situation, together with a sore back, sore arms and sore calves. I'm not a rider, haven't ever been (some of you may remember my 5 year old trauma story) and I am NOT ever going to be either. A 2 hour horse ride where the horse is cantering (apparently the most uncomfortable thing a horse can do) for the most part is not my idea of fun. Plus (I found this out after) Cubans have a reputation for having the most uncomfortable saddles.

The view across the Valley of Ingenes was amazing and the mini waterfall, Cascada Ancon (its a cheek to call it a waterfall really) with its stunning pool and natural caves were nice, but to be honest, I would rather have taken a car or even riden a bicycle to get there, but unfortunately you can only access it on horseback. If you go to Trinidad and get talked into giving it a go as I did, be aware, wear jeans and thick socks, and fellas...you might wanna get some padding, the guys on the trip with me didn't fare very well!

I had an excellent few days in Trinidad, I made a few friends from Larndan at Casa de la Musica (yey Kevin, Paul and Bee...see I told you I'd give you a mention) and in true form managed to also break the key to Kevin and Paul's bedroom in the lock (a long story involving alcohol, me needing the toilet and Paul putting the wrong key in the lock, clearly all his fault). I also stayed in a Casa Particular for the first time, the best and cheapest way to stay in Cuba. You can pretty much turn up at a major station or bus terminal and find a casa within a few minutes. You'll get 5* treatment which you will get charged for, but over all its a much better experience than a hotel! Plus you pay for a room but you could probably end up with two double beds, your own dining area (as I had in Trinidad) and in my current casa back in Havana, I have a one bedroom apartment complete with two massive luxury bathrooms with a double bath and shower (but only one bedroom?!?!) all for the equivalent of about 15 quid a night!

So I'm off to Mexico tomorrow, to be honest glad to see the back of Havana, I've had enough of people kindly but persistently asking for money or clothing; there aren't any dirty looking beggars in Cuba, anyone can strike up a conversation with you which normally ends up with them asking you for something. It gets annoying and it means you can't trust anyone's motives. You gotta be firm but it gets very boring very quickly.

Plus, super niggle of all time, I've just left the beach in a huff because I was being followed by a major pervert, and I mean major! This normal looking man of about 40 came up to me on a bike, asked me for the time and wandered off to sit about 10 feet away. I was quite glad he only wanted the time and carried on reading my book only to look up about 10 minutes later and see him facing me and...wait for it.....wanking! Yes folks, this man was having a very good time on my part. I cursed at him, kicked a massive bunch of sand in his direction got all my stuff and moved extremely quickly in the opposite direction. I thought I'd got rid of him, but half an hour later, I had a funny feeling, looked around and there he was again, going at it with twice as much vigour as before and only slightly further away. This time I went looking for a policeman but by the time I found one, he'd dissapeared. I am slightly traumatised, but there are mad people everywhere I guess!

Roll on Mexico!

No comments: